List of Tables and Exhibits.
PART ONE: ABOUT DECISION MAKING.
1. The Art and Science of Decision Making: Putting Theory into Practice.
What Doesn't Work.
Reacting Versus Responding.
Responding Versus Reacting.
2. Borrowing from Business: Due Diligence in Decision Making.
What Investors Do.
Defining Due Diligence.
Staging Implementation to Reduce Risk.
A Consistent Approach to Critical Decisions.
3. Managing Critical Decisions: The Who, What, and How.
How Do You Put It All Together.
4. Enter the Matrix: Introducing an Effective Tool.
The Matrix: Framing the Decision.
The Rows: Weighting the Due Diligence Criteria.
The Columns: Scoring the Due Diligence Criteria.
Using the Matrix for Binary Decisions.
Using the Matrix for Choices Among Similar Options.
Using the Matrix for Choices Among Dissimilar Options.
PART TWO: MAKING CRITICAL DECISIONS.
5. Stage One: Feasibility.
The Seductive Nature of New Ideas.
Common Feasibility Decisions.
The Feasibility Matrix.
6. Stage Two: Pilot.
Piloting the Feasible Decision.
Designing the Pilot Project.
The Pilot Matrix.
7. Stage Three: Implementation.
From Pilot to Implementation.
A Good Implementation Plan.
The Implementation Matrix.
8. Stage Four: Cutback.
Dimensions of Cutting Back.
The Cutback Matrix.
9. Putting the Matrix to Work.
Boards of Directors.
10. The Decision-Making Guide.
Assessing the Decision.
Working Through the Matrix.
Appendix: Staff Renewal Decisions.